Paris Up Up and Away, Hélène Druvert
As you can tell from the title of the workshop I filled my session with a heap of activities that would be useful starting a new school year that are suitable for Early Years students to around Grade 4. After spending part of my Christmas holiday in Paris I immediately wanted to share this book with all my students when I returned. I always like to find picture story books that have a sense of wonder about them - and this picture storybook does not disappoint.
The story tells of the Eiffel Tower's journey through Paris, passing all the major landmarks of the city. What makes this book so delicious and appealing is the lasercut images inside. I honestly have never seen a book like it before! It certainly was a magical moment reading the story and whilst the book contains a very simple storyline all the words came alive with the intricate detail within each of the pages.
The Eiffel Tower is bored today.
Wouldn’t it be nice to fly away?
Paris is full of things to do.
The Tower would like to see them too.
Here is the song below:
Version 1 – Single circle facing partner
- Shake right hand with partner - first 3 beats plus the pick up
- Shake left hand with partner
- 1st ‘Bonjour mes amis’ shake right hand, 2nd ‘Bonjour Mes Amis’ shake left hand with partner
- Slow turn around so that you are facing a new partner
Version 2 – double circle facing partner
- Shake right hand
- Shake left hand
- Join hands complete full turn with your partner, returning to original spot
- Slow step to the left, waving goodbye to your partner and facing a new partner.
Version 3 – double circle facing partner
- Clap right hands
- Clap left hands
- Shake right hand, keep holding
- Shake left hand, keep holding
- Move around each other (holding cross hands)
- On last word move to face a new partner
- Different verses in the song:Comment ça va, mes amis…, How do you do? - shake hands with partner
Allons danser, mes amis… Let’s dance – circle dance
Allons chanter, mes amis… Let’s sing - four steps in, four steps out
Au revoir, mes amis, adieu… Goodbye, my friends, farewell - partners take hands and dance around circle
When reading to the Prep students I was able to make a connection to the song 'Rain, Rain' - see the pictures below:
You can purchase the storybook on Book Depository which is available in English and a French edition - Paris s'envole.
Hope you enjoy sharing the magical wonders of Paris with your students as much as I did.
P.S If you want to read more from John Feierabend the article where the quote at the start of this blog post is really fantastic.