To use this app:
1. Press the 'tonic' button to hear the starting pitch of the music. On the iphone version you can scroll through the whole score to inner hear the music if you wish.
2. Press the start button and begin singing along with the score.
It really is that easy! The aim of the sight singing game is to sing all the notes in-tune which will change the note colour to green. When you are singing the pitch incorrectly the colour of the note will change to red. The app even records your attempts so you have the opportunity to hear which notes you have sung incorrectly.
If you like the app, you can pay to upgrade it (I paid $7.99 which I think is worth the money!) and you can benefit from all the features, which include:
- Fixed or moveable do button which displays the solfa syllables of each example. In a minor key you can choose between la-based minor, or do-based minor.
- 4 and 8 beat sight reading examples in easy, moderate, difficult levels. There is even a custom mode if you want to practice pentatonic only.
- All major and minor keys in 2, 3 or 4 metre.
- Changing the tempo.
- Selecting treble or bass clef.
- Scale practice mode - warm up to the scale and hear it.
- Report section to record your score and keep your sight singing on track.
If you are new to sight singing, a school student and anyone who wants to improve their musicianship - this app is definitely for you! Check out the website here